Tawnya was previously a Senior Counsel in both the Orange County and Del Mar Offices of Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton LLP, from 1995 to 2005. Tawnya has over 20 years of experience in a broad array of intellectual property, customs and internet matters, primarily including domestic and international representation in trademark prosecution and advising clients on counterfeiting, internet and licensing agreements, domain name disputes, import and export issues, and grey market products. Her practice also includes client counseling, licensing and other intellectual property transactions and contract negotiations, and the prosecution and litigation of trademarks, trade dress, copyrights and unfair competition matters.
Areas of Practice
- Tawnya handles the intellectual property matters for numerous companies for prosecution and litigation matters, including significant portfolios of domestic and international trademarks, including clearance, and registration and ex parte proceedings with the United States Patent and Trademark Office, copyright registrations, and all litigation associated with such matters. She handles the litigation of internet domain name disputes and Uniform Domain Resolution Proceedings, drafting internet business contracts and licenses, analysis of trademark and copyright infringement risks, opinion letters, negotiating licenses and consent agreements, drafting and negotiating international television distribution and entertainment contracts, handling opposition and cancellation proceedings, and transactional work including drafting apparel, merchandise and software licenses, software and web development agreements, work-made-for-hire, non-disclosure and confidentiality agreements.
- Tawnya also has experience in client counseling and obtaining advisory opinions and binding rulings from US customs on various matters, including country of origin determinations for marking and NAFTA purposes, anti-dumping/countervailing duty determinations, requests for tariff classification rulings under Harmonized Tariff Schedule.
- Tawnya was employed at Sheppard, Mullin, Richter & Hampton for 10 years, where she developed the practice described above. Prior to joining Sheppard Mullin in 1995, Tawnya was employed at Mattel, Inc., as a trademark and copyright specialist with responsibility for clearance of over 3,000 trademarks annually, domestic and foreign trademark prosecution and ex parte proceedings, oversight responsibilities for litigation matters, review of product packaging, license agreements, copyright infringement analysis, and due diligence in intellectual property acquisitions. Tawnya came to Mattel, Inc. from Rubbermaid, Inc.'s office products division, where she also handled its in-house intellectual property matters.
- Taylor Made-adidas Golf Company
- The City of San Diego
- Test-Rite Products Corporation (Taiwan)
- Synergy Licensing Group
- Realty World America, Inc.
- Doheny Asset Management
- Sport Chalet, Inc.
- Aspen Education, Inc.
- St. Jude Hospital of Orange
- Bianchi International, Inc.
- Monterey Historic Auto. Races
- General Racing Limited
- Double Helix International, Inc. USA (Japan)
- Info-Tek Corporation (Taiwan)
- Second Skin & Otis (Canada)
- Hawaiian Island Creations, Inc.
- Showcase Productions, Inc.
- PrimaryColor, Inc.
- BizGui, Inc.
- Ergo Sleep Studio
- Gigabyte Technologies (Taiwan)
- Sequoia Sciences, Inc.
- Orange County Bar Journal – “International Registration of Trademarks, Madrid Report Card,” published September 2008
- Orange County Bar Association, Intellectual Property Section, Presentation and Lecture “Five Years Later – A Madrid Protocol Report Card” February 2008.
- Orange County Patent Law Association Annual Meeting, Presentation for “Filing under the Madrid Protocol” Summer 2006
- State Bar of California
- United States District Court, Central District of California